The 2018 Commonwealth Games may have finished but it has left a lasting infrastructure legacy for the Gold Coast community. It was a privilege as a locally founded company to have been involved in many of the temporary, upgraded and newly built venues that played such a pivotal role for the event.
Commonwealth Games Work Overview
Year Completed: 2017-2018
Carrara Stadium Precinct
- Pre-design detail survey of Carrara Stadium for design of the Athletics’ Precinct.
- Detail survey of the entire Carrara precinct to assist in design of all temporary overlay works.
- Involved traditional survey + 3D laser scanning from our spatial services department.
- Service location surveys
- Set-out of test track piece – 30m section used to test the building procedure adopted by Cockram for the athletics tracks.
- Set-out of the practice running track, shotput, long/triple jump, javelin and discus fields. Involved precise surveying to adhere to the minimum grades and tight tolerances in place for the track.
- Conformance reporting for the built track.
- Set-out of the competition track in the stadium along with the shotput, discuss, javelin, long/triple jump, steeple chase etc.
- Set-out of other infrastructure including, but not limited to: security tents, entrance gates, fences, demountable buildings.
- Set-out of badminton, table tennis, wrestling (Carrara Sport & Leisure Centre)
- Volume calculations.
- Multiple dilapidation surveys of the Carrara Precinct pre-construction and during construction.
- In summary we had to set out everything that was held at Metricon Stadium.
Jack Moreton Worldwide
Setout of the opening and closing ceremony. Tasks included:
- Positioning of stages, walkways, lighting, sound infrastructure, choreograph positions for dancers, props, athletes, marshals.
- All above was also completed at rehearsal venues before the actual venues.
- Closing ceremony works were very time sensitive – areas needed survey at specific times during the preparations to enable other trades/professions to complete their works on time.
- Pre-design detail survey of Labrador Hockey Fields for design of the Gold Coast Hockey Centre.
- Pre-design detail survey for the Belmont Rifle Range.
- Overlay works at Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre.
- Set-out of the Beach Volleyball courts for construction at Coolangatta.
Set-out of temporary seating stands & coordination of additional seating at the following venues:
- Beach Volleyball – Coolangatta
- Boxing – Oxenford (Movieworld)
- Track Cycling – Anna Meares Velodrome, Chandler
- Athletics – Additional stands at Carrara Stadium
- Swimming – Gold Coast Aquatic Centre, Southport
- Minor set-out works at Coolangatta & Gold Coast Convention Centre to assist in temporary overlay works.
Commonwealth Games Village
Hyder Consulting (now Arcadis)
- Initial detail survey of the entire site for the Commonwealth Games Village at the Parkwood Showgrounds 2014.